Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Buying and selling

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
Do you have any experience of buying and selling? Me and my partner are doing a little of it at the moment, buying things and then selling them to other people to see if we can make any extra money.

I was just wondering if anyone had done this before, and if you had any tips about how to do it the best!

Comments

  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,910 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hopeless when it comes to selling things and usually end up giving them away. However I have just sold my washing machine.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I'm hopeless when it comes to selling things and usually end up giving them away. However I have just sold my washing machine.

    It is much easier to just give them to someone, which is what I would do if it was something of mine that I was getting rid of, but I don't think that would be a very good business plan!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,910 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's not worth the effort to sell, but if the buyer can take it away, then you can save yourself a lot of trouble. It depends how valuable it is I suppose. When I get back, I'm hoping maybe furniture I had to pay for to transport to the second hand shop might have been sold as this way it will have paid for the expense of getting it out of my flat.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    Sometimes it's not worth the effort to sell, but if the buyer can take it away, then you can save yourself a lot of trouble. It depends how valuable it is I suppose. When I get back, I'm hoping maybe furniture I had to pay for to transport to the second hand shop might have been sold as this way it will have paid for the expense of getting it out of my flat.

    We usually ask people to come and pick things up from us, which they are normally happy to do, but we do drop things off sometimes if they are very close to us.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,910 ✭✭✭✭
    It is fine if you have a car, which I don't have. Fortunately Nice is very good about removing large items that are unwanted. I am getting rid of lots of things and the town hall will be sending the rubbish collectors on Friday. A friend is coming round tomorrow evening to help me shift everything outside.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    It is fine if you have a car, which I don't have. Fortunately Nice is very good about removing large items that are unwanted. I am getting rid of lots of things and the town hall will be sending the rubbish collectors on Friday. A friend is coming round tomorrow evening to help me shift everything outside.

    Yes, my partner and I have a car each, so there have been many times where we have both been out delivering things at the same time!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,910 ✭✭✭✭
    I was able to not only get rid of the stuff that was useless, but my friend was able to take a few things that might have some use. She has an old dog, so the scrap of carpet I was throwing out was perfect for the dog to sit on.
Sign In or Register to comment.