Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Learn English in March

The Earth needs help! (Earth day 2019) ~ Dora.

Comments

• bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 Inactive
    Hello, I am also keen to participate in this topic & want to express my views. Since I am from India & observing how people are wasting natural resources whose are very important player to maintain our Echo System i.e. Water, Tree , Land & Air.Country like India which has massive population required big needs of water & food to survive. Rivers in India used to be rich resources to fulfill the water requirement. These rivers are getting vanished, due to we have forgotten what kind of crop should be cultivate near to bank of river as trees are main resource in order to maintain a decent water level on the earth.
    Isha Foundation has started a campaign Rally for Rivers which was a blueprint drafted by Sadhguru & handed over to Prime Minister Office of India for reviving of dead river for doing this government support is must. Participation from people is must.In this blueprint Isha foundation has suggested area wise crop that farmer's should grow. So my point for giving this example participation of people is must awareness,education & heavy financial penalty whose is wasting natural resources . Administration, NGO should run a program to make people aware & contribute to reduce carbon footprint on village,street,sector,town,city level for achieving excellence. " My personal aim is make earth green again."
    Hello, I am also keen to participate in this topic & want to express my views. Since I am from India & observing how people are wasting natural resources whose are very important players to maintain our Echo System i.e. Water, Tree , Land & Air.Country like India which has massive population required big needs of water & food by people to survive. Rivers in India used to be rich resources to fulfill the water requirement. These rivers are getting vanished, due to we have forgotten what kind of crop should be cultivate near to bank of rivers since trees are main resource in order to maintain a decent water level on the earth.
    Isha Foundation has started a campaign "Rally for Rivers" which was a blueprint drafted by Sadhguru & handed over to Prime Minister Office of India for reviving of dead river, for implementing this project government support is must. Participation from people is must.In this blueprint Isha foundation has suggested area wise crop that farmer's should grow. So my point for giving this example participation of people should be mandatory, awareness towards earth & natural resources,education & in case of non compliance imposing heavy financial penalty to those who are wasting natural resources . Administration, NGO should run a program to educate,reward people for contributing to reduce carbon footprint on village,street,sector,town,city level for achieving excellence by using "3R" as described above by @Dora .
    " My personal aim is make earth green again."
    Only then human species able to survive on the planet & so our planet will be a beautiful place for living.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 42,526 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I am also keen to participate in this topic and want to express my views. Since I am from India and observing how people are wasting natural resources that are very important elements to maintain our ecosystem like water, trees, land and air. Countries like India which have massive populations require big amounts of water and
    food for people to survive. Rivers in India used to be rich in resources to fulfill the water requirement. These rivers are vanishing and we have forgotten what kind of crops should be cultivated near to bank of rivers since trees are the main resource to maintain a decent water level on the earth.

TheIsha Foundation has started a campaign "Rally for Rivers" which was a blueprint drafted by Sadhguru and handed over to the Prime Minister;s Office of India for reviving dead rivers and for implementing this project, government support is a must. Participation from people is a must. In this blueprint the Isha foundation has suggested where farmers should grow their crops. So my point for giving this example is that participation of people should be mandatory, awareness towards earth , natural resources, and education is needed,and in the case of non-compliance, imposing heavy financial penalties to those who waste natural resources should be imposed. Public administration and NGOs should run programs to educate andreward people for contributing to reducing their carbon footprint in their village, street, sector, town, or city to achieve excellence by using the "3Rs" as described above by @Dora .

" My personal aim is make earth green again."

Only then the human species will beable to survive on the planet and so our planet will be a beautiful place for living in.

@bfluentmanish you should avoid using '&' and write 'and' in full when you are writing. You have some very important points here.

I am trying my best to minimise my carbon footprint. I needed to water my plants today, so I used the grey water left from my washing up. It is not much, but every bit counts, especially since we haven't had much rain for the past couple of months.
    I am really thankful to you for giving me valuable advice.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid that the love affair of most Earthians with their cars isn't going to cease soon, therefore I'm skeptic the Earth Day, in this regard, can have a leverage to change the minds of diehard polluters.
    My only hope, currently, lies in Musk' s announced driverless car revolution joined to the car-sharing one.
    Car drivers are riveted to their seats and nothing in the world can definitely manage to detach them from their rumbling toy.
    Even when stuck in a line, or in a traffic jam, they seem not to mind at all whether their idling engines have been exhaling fumes away from their exhaust pipes.
    They just limit to sigh while plunging their face back into their newly found ally of those long hours of confined laziness: the smartphone screen.
    If those Aliens are supposed to be Earthians, I believe I'm entitled to feel Martian all the more.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    One by one countries' governments are promising to phase out petrol-guzzling cars in the next few years. Then people will have to switch to using electric vehicles @filauzio. There are electric motorbikes too. Have you ever thought of getting one of these?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

My friend who is teaching in Mongolia took this photo of her students cleaning up the surrounding area. Even there they found litter left by picnics and visitors.

It is good that young people are responsible enough to clean up mess, even if it was not made by them. Perhaps the future is bright!
    I agree @Dora, as youngsters often follow their parents' bad habits when it comes to littering up the place. If teachers can teach children not to throw rubbish everywhere, hopefully the future should be a bit cleaner.
    I agree with @Dora,@mheredge,
    Yes, it's true if younger generation of any country and society take initiative to maintain their surroundings clean and clear, the task of government will be much easier.In India Prime Minister Modi run a program "Clean India" but people participation is very negligible and condition remains same.Everybody in our country wants that our nation should be as clean as Europe but nobody want to contribute to make it clean.
    This is why always feel country like India where people only know the language of punishment,fear,financial penalty should be implemented strictly,but same time if government try to apply any rule forcefully our corrupt politician,intellect come in picture that Modi government is intolerant.What to do in this situation? Paid media also publish fake news and pervert citizens of India.
    I'm fairly sure that in the UK the only reason people started not to throw litter was to do with being fined @bfluentmanish. I remember as a kid the streets were no way as clean as they are now.
    Here in Italy too, the government are promoting and championing the electric vehicle revolutions, @mheredge.

Nevertheless, when you walk outdoors searching for the closest charger port, there it is nowhere to be found.

Actually the charger ports are just a few and located mainly in the centre areas, to serve as witnesses of a municipal eco-friendly attitude to tourists' eyes.

There are a few in the wealthiest neighbourhoods too: a kind of bow of flattery to powerful citizens.

Although those well-off households hold two highly pollutant SUVs on average, in fact, they want to wash their guilty conscience with the permanent sight of a charger-port facing their windows across the road.

They just serve as colourful, glossy and neat window dressing.

The reality is that diesel engines monopolize the motor traffic overall.

That's the reason why I still missed to leap at the opportunity of buying an electric vehicle.

However I see that current car's technology offer the so-called hybrid cars, which are equipped with both petrol and electric engines.

While you're driving petrol-fuelled, the battery charges, so that eventually you can switch to the ecological choice, without having to change car.

@bfluentmanish I see you are a new member, so welcome to the Forum.

I'd like to visit India one day, because I think it is a country with a lot of culture, religious buildings, amazing landscapes and traditions.

I really think I could fall in love with your country, whenever I happened to put foot on it.

I also read an article on The Economist about the ecological plan issued by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

I was astonished to read about the fact Modi wanted to build hundreds of thousands of public toilets all across the country too.

I think that's a praise worthy policy and not banal at all.

Sewage has to be treated and purified before being discharged in the rivers.

Water, together with the air, are fundamental for humankind survival: do you know what's our body mainly build up of ? Needless to say, water.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    @mheredge this is the only reason why i mentioned above that bad habits of citizen of India can be restricted being fined.Thanks for your consensus with me.
    @filauzio Thanks for your warm welcome message, You are most welcome to India,yes, India is a beautiful country and have diverse,versatile culture.It is the land of historical monuments, temples,forts,sages,oldest civilization, mountains,deserts,coastal areas,pilgrimage places,relics of different dynasties who ruled on India.People around the world visit India for learning Yoga,different meditation practices,natural therapies, being experienced of wild life in Jim Corbet, Gir forests,being taste thousand of yummy dishes, Indian hospitality and other customs.
    Same time new visitor should be aware fraudsters,thieves,cheaters while coming to India.
    There are fraudsters, thieves and cheaters everywhere you go @bfluentmanish. Having travelled all over India I wouldn't say it is any worse than most other countries around the world. In Italy you have to watch out for the daring bag snatchers who come up on their bikes and grab as they pass by.

Here in Nice, there seem to be a fair number of charging points, and also electric cars you can rent from these electricity stations in the same way as the blue bikes @filauzio. But Nice is a relatively smart city and innovative, so I am not sure that everywhere in France is so fortunate.

I think you would love India @filauzio. It is a fascinating country.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @bfluentmanish, you've reported nice things about India. Thank you for that.
    Hi @ Hermine thanks for your appreciation you are most welcome always.
    Hi @mheredge as a responsible citizen i am supposed to tell you the truth about the place where i belong to. I completely agree with you that every nation has bad or good people around us.My objective was here if someone want to visit India must be aware about mischievous people who defame country image.
    You're right @bfluentmanish but you'd be amazed at how many people throw litter around here in Nice. Sometimes it is useful litter though, as yesterday I picked up a large abandoned terracotta plant pot (it would have easily cost 50€ in a shop). It had been left on the pavement. Then today there was a plastic toolbox that I guess was being thrown out - also on the pavement - because the lid catch was broken. I have already a few ideas of what to do with it.
    Hi @mheredge I have an idea it can be given to someone like poor potters in free of cost and plastic toolbox to any car mechanic or plastic recycle collection center.
    I think this kind of problem exist everywhere in the world,so i feel it's a time to create "NGO" or group of volunteers who really concern about ecology and can contribute in society.
    Here it is very much a throw-away mentality and people will discard things all too casually @bfluentmanish. I like how it is so easy to find people who can repair all kind of things in Asia, at a reasonable cost. Here if I were to take my tablet that stopped working to anyone, they would charge 50€ before even telling you it can't be repaired. I think it has done this before and I got it fixed by someone I know in Kathmandu for less than 10$ when he replaced the on/off switch. I will keep it and take it with me when I return to Kathmandu in a few months. Maybe I will be able to get a bit more life out of it!
    @mheredge agree with your view completely.
    Travelling avoiding flying seem to be getting quite a lot of good press lately. The Guardian today had a couple of very interesting articles on touring FRANCE and SPAIN by train that I certainly will look at seriously. (Click on FRANCE and SPAIN to see the articles.)

• VokVok Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭✭
    I like trains more than any other modes of transport @mheredge . There're some dissadvantages of course, like being more expensive than travelling by air quite often and it's very time-consuming too. But I I'm being selfish here.
    What's selfish about liking trains @Vok? I would have thought the opposite - you are travelling in an environmentally more responsible way, that takes you longer and costs you more money!
  • VokVok Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing @mheredge . The fact that I opt for flights more than for trains is selfish, but I forgot to mention it.
    Unfortunately not everyone has enough time to spend travelling on trains @Vok. In many cases it just isn't practical. I think travelling by car or a private vehicle is much more selfish. I would love to go to Kathmandu by rail but it isn't possible - yet.
    Maybe it's too much of a futuristic even unrealistic idea, something which is unlikely will ever take off as an alternative ecological way of flying.

As a mindset habit, though, I usually tend not to put any limits to the possibilities of technologies.

Therefore, i still dream of a time when just solar-powered aircrafts will routinely criss-cross our skies.

I seem that a group of pilots, Swiss if I remember right, have pioneered such kind of ecological plane, accomplishing a round The Earth flight.

I were amazed when reading the article about such deed, I was confident such ground-breaking flight would make history.

@mheredge , @Vok , @bfluentmanish @Dora : Do you think silent, emissions-free aircrafts could substitute noisy polluting airlines one day ?

Would we be able to totally trust solar energy when flying, or will be limited just to fly on sunny days ?

Yeah, got the article right now:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/26/solar-impulse-plane-makes-history-completing-round-the-world-trip

@filauzio I agree with future vision of Solar flight is going to be reality very soon but since it's a matter of people safety hence alternative fuel source and design of engine will work together well.
    Some of future fuel which can be handy Hydrogen cells,Mercury,energy preservation and convertible device.
    I visualize in future their will be a flying machine which will be similar to birds.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,392 mod
    edited May 2019
    @Hermine - You might want to clarify - cigarette butts, and outside our house.

-----------------------

Some of the most urgent things we need to do right now are, reduce our use of plastic, reduce our consumption of meat, eat more seasonal, local food, stop using fossil fuels, and stop being a throwaway society. The Primark influence on throwaway fashion is pure evil.

Did you know that it Takes 2,700 Liters Of Water To Make One T-Shirt? Cotton needs a lot of water, requiring up to 2,700 liters (713 gallons) to grow enough for just one T-shirt. People are buying cheap clothing, and then binning it instead of washing it. Crazy.

Ref deforestation: it isn't just meat production that is the cause: https://www.dw.com/en/mass-deforestation-how-trade-fells-trees-in-brazil-and-indonesia/a-48280649

Post edited by Teach on
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭
    @Teach, are you sure you addressed the right person?

I reckon you were answering my question in other room and my name still remeinded in your head.

Although, on the other side, I often have to pick putts from carelessly smokers around the hosue.