Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What do you do if you can't sleep?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
I'm sure we've all had nights where we can't sleep, but what do you do if this is the case?
For me, I will get up and do something, such as read a book, as I know that this will help a lot.
But what about you? What do you like to do when you can't get to sleep?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    When I have a suduko puzzle book handy, I have a bad habit of indulging myself doing puzzles. Otherwise I read for an hour or so and this usually does the trick.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭✭
    From time to time I wake up in the middle of the night and am wide awake. Despite being wide awake are my eyes too weak to read in a book. To bridge the time until tiredness comes back, do I switch on the telly and it often doesn't take long until I fall asleep again.

By now I haven't found a better solution for this circumstance. I don't want neither to start the iron, as a woman does I know, nor will I wander around in the night outside for getting fresh air.
    I wouldn't recommend doing the ironing @Hermine as you might set the house on fire if you fall asleep on the job!

I tend to find Sudoku puzzles great for sending me to sleep if I wake up in the middle of the night. But I have to put on my reading glasses to see the numbers clearly. Reading is another way to send me nodding off. The television drives me to sleep regardless of how tired I am!!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Hermine said:

From time to time I wake up in the middle of the night and am wide awake. Despite being wide awake are my eyes too weak to read in a book. To bridge the time until tiredness comes back, do I switch on the telly and it often doesn't take long until I fall asleep again.

By now I haven't found a better solution for this circumstance. I don't want neither to start the iron, as a woman does I know, nor will I wander around in the night outside for getting fresh air.

I think the TV can keep you awake even ore, so I don't think that's a great idea when you wake up during the night.
    It would if it were interesting enough but I rarely find anything that can keep me from dropping off immediately @GemmaRowlands. Except perhaps Line of Duty.
    @mheredge, I could sleep in each position, but it doesn't prevent me from awaiking.
    Sudoku puzzles send me to sleep at night (when I make more mistakes), but in the morning they help me wake up and then I find the same puzzle easier to complete. If I get reading after I wake in the morning, it can sometimes be very hard to get up as I want to keep reading. At night though, I eventually have to put the book down because I get too tired to read, unless of course, it is really gripping @Hermine.
    I used to think heavy stuff at nights, but I'd changed this habit. It's not easy something, but I'm working on it.
    This is why it is not a good idea to be working on your laptop before you go to bed @Hermine, as it can keep your mind active, and stopping you from going to sleep.

Watching a fairly mindless TV series is probably a good way to stop thinking too much. I suppose this is where a good book can be a good distraction too.
    You're right, but reading a book isn't the absolute solution in my case. My eyes just too weak.
    I'll search for a suitable solution.
    DO you have good reading glasses @Hermine? I find if I try not to use mine, my eyes get tired very quickly. I can get away with it when I use my Kindle because I can cheat and make the font size larger.
    Yes I have @mheredge, a pair that do I wear daily and a second pair for reading, they are stronger, but I can't look in the distance with them.

Sometimes I read messages from LEN members.
  • bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    @Hermine,
    Hello,everyone. Firstly we should improve our daily routine and habits for taking a better sleep on daily basis,once you achieve this goal and still able to take a sleep then i would suggest to explore their memory about the good things happen in the life it will give a decent feeling on the bed and your mind become positive you should also plan for the good things which you are going to do in coming day,week,month, or in new year.
    That will help anyone to compose their goal and vision be it anything related to family, profession, health, education, wellness, helping others, visiting a new place.
    I believe by doing this and painting a picture of your own future one can get anything.
    In my case i want to see myself that I am giving a lecture or speech in English in front of English native society.
    mheredge said:

It would if it were interesting enough but I rarely find anything that can keep me from dropping off immediately @GemmaRowlands. Except perhaps Line of Duty.

I still need to watch this. It is on my watch list but I have such a long list that things take me ages to get around to.
    I know someone who is from the US and keeps American time as she spends most of the night chatting with her friends over there, who are seven hours behind. Consequently she doesn't go to sleep until about 4am and doesn't get up until midday, when she usually still feels tired. She misses out on so much as half the day has gone.
    mheredge said:

I know someone who is from the US and keeps American time as she spends most of the night chatting with her friends over there, who are seven hours behind. Consequently she doesn't go to sleep until about 4am and doesn't get up until midday, when she usually still feels tired. She misses out on so much as half the day has gone.

That seems like a bit of an odd thing to do, but I suppose if she is speaking to people in a different time zone it doesn't matter. I sometimes keep these hours as I work with overseas clients, and I don't feel like I miss out on very much at all.
    The trouble is that she's always too tired to meet with friends in her own time zone @GemmaRowlands.

All the fresh air I've had today is going to have me asleep in seconds as soon as my head hits the pillow tonight.
    I have found that watching television before I go to sleep actually makes me feel sleepy, even though people recommend that you don't look at screens at bed time. I always nearly fall asleep in front of the television, so it's easy to get to sleep once I get upstairs.
    Same here, I find the TV puts me to sleep very quickly.
    I'm too lazy when awaking at nights for going down to the telly.
    I never watch the TV much even though I have mine in the bedroom. I find trying to crack Sudoku in the middle of the night is a fairly quick cure for insomnia. Reading is not however, as I get too engrossed in the book and end up reading instead of sleeping if I'm not careful.
    I have really struggled to sleep for the past couple of nights, because of the heat. It is very hot, and there is not even a breeze, so even opening the window isn't help me very much!
    I have had to sleep with the fan on near the bed these last couple of nights. I'm not sure, but there seems to be a bit more of a breeze now than there has been so I'm hoping it will be enough.
    I have recently bought a really cool little fan. It's two fans, on the end of a pole that you can shape around your neck, so the fans blow nicely into your face and keep you cool.
    I hope you don't sleep with it draped around your neck! It's cooler now during the night so I have even had to half close the terrace doors as it's a bit too drafty at times.