Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Addicted

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,941 ✭✭✭✭
What are you addicted to?

Are you addicted to social media, smoking, watching movies, junk food, shopping, electronic gadgets, chocolate? The list is endless of things people can be addicted to.

How long do you spend on social media or on your phone each day?

Do you try to control your addictions? What do you do about them?

Or do you just indulge in them?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/09/constant-cravings-is-addiction-on-the-rise

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I think I am addicted to my phone in some respect. I don't know if it is an addiction, as I don't think about it if I am busy. It might be more of a habit really, as I just tend to pick it up when I'm bored.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,941 ✭✭✭✭
    I think phone addiction must be the most common addiction people have these days.

Of course you have to think of the problems this can cause to your neck and shoulders, eyes, and wrists and thumbs. Not to mention not seeing where you are going if you are checking it on the move.
    mheredge said:

I think phone addiction must be the most common addiction people have these days.

Of course you have to think of the problems this can cause to your neck and shoulders, eyes, and wrists and thumbs. Not to mention not seeing where you are going if you are checking it on the move.

Doctors say that now, most people have little dents on their little fingers, where they rest their phones. I have one on my right hand, and as soon as I read the article I decided to make a decent effort not to just pick my phone up all the time.
    I don't think there is too much danger of me becoming addicted to my phone but I know what I am becoming addicted to and this is sketching @filauzio! This afternoon I planned on going to one place to sketch and ended up filling four pages. Drawing people is so much harder than drawing straight lines, so I'm trying my best to practice curves. And I'm afraid most of my people looked more like stick-men because I was drawing the shoppers on the main street, and there were just so many people thaty I could only see a sea of heads.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard that our posterity will be born with flatter thumbs because we've been using ours so much with a mobile phone screen @GemmaRowlands . I'm also addicted to my smartphone. I have great difficulties in leaving my phone untouched for a bit.
    Repetitive stress injury is something to watch out for.

It's a problem too for workers who use their computer keyboards heavily.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury

Vok said:

I've heard that our posterity will be born with flatter thumbs because we've been using ours so much with a mobile phone screen @GemmaRowlands . I'm also addicted to my smartphone. I have great difficulties in leaving my phone untouched for a bit.

I think it might take quite a number of years to see changes like that, but yes, it could certainly be something that we notice in the future!
    mheredge said:
    I think it's similar to a phone addiction, in that it's used firstly for social purposes, then you slowly realise that you're using it in a different way, and eventually you almost "need" it.
    It's a lot more serious than being addicted to looking all the time at your phone. At least this won't kill you!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also sketching should be an addiction which does not do any harm, @mheredge, apart from the subject people, though, who could be ' killed ' by the way you depict them, rendering them as stick men, as you wrote, for instance.

Apart from joke, I don't think you should stick precisely to their shape and traits though.

I mean, it's obvious it's almost impossible to render a person when they stay still just for a few moments.

However, I suppose that's the point, the magic of sketching: seize the moment, shot the impression, ' carpe diem '.

You need to immortalize just what your eyes and brain, by teaming up for an instant, man aged to conjure up.

That's the trick: otherwise all sketches drawn before the same subject, would look the same.

To me that adds to the wonder of the challenge: to impress the paper quicker than a shot would be by the image.

Besides, we have an advantage over photos: we can try to render the movements.

The way is up to you, isn't it great and worth trying ?
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    A friend of mine very kindly sat for her friend so she could draw her. I think I might just have to stick to drawing statues or shop manikins. Or at least practice with these first. Pedro said memory is the only way to sketch people on the move. Or drawing people doing the same movement. I was very lucky last week, as though the man sitting on a bench got up and walked away, not long after, another came and sat in exactly the same posture! Drawing quickly comes with practice and like with everything, the more you practice, the better you get @filauzio.
    mheredge said:

It's a lot more serious than being addicted to looking all the time at your phone. At least this won't kill you!

Looking at your phone could kill you, as people are paying less attention to what they're doing, not checking for traffic before crossing roads, looking at their phones when driving etc. Also, phones/tech are largely responsible for inactivity and a sedentary lifestyle which can impact on health. It might not "kill you" directly, but it can certainly change your life in a negative way.
    So far at least, I still think far more people have been killed from drugs and alcohol.
    I agree completely, I just think tech addition is something that's going to creep up on us as a nation, and have a severe effect, particularly on the generations growing up today.
    I was shocked to read that Michael Buerk came out with a statement that obese people should be allowed to die, thus saving the NHS money. He justified it by describing obesity as a self-inflicted problem of eating too much and not a disease.

'The 73-year-old said those who are obese may be making a "selfless sacrifice" to stop the country being overpopulated if they die a decade earlier than the rest of the population.'

https://news.sky.com/story/michael-buerk-let-obese-people-die-early-to-save-nhs-money-11778620

This could be applied also to smoking and any drug related health problems.
    mheredge said:

I was shocked to read that Michael Buerk came out with a statement that obese people should be allowed to die, thus saving the NHS money. He justified it by describing obesity as a self-inflicted problem of eating too much and not a disease.

'The 73-year-old said those who are obese may be making a "selfless sacrifice" to stop the country being overpopulated if they die a decade earlier than the rest of the population.'

https://news.sky.com/story/michael-buerk-let-obese-people-die-early-to-save-nhs-money-11778620

This could be applied also to smoking and any drug related health problems.

There are a huge number of illnesses that are arguably our own fault, so where would be draw the line? Many cancers are due to lifestyle (wrong foods, too much sun, smoking and drinking) so should they not be treated? You might break your leg due to taking a silly risk, should that not be treated? There's no way they can ever put this in place.
    I think he must have realised by now his mistake but as you say, so many health problems are self inflicted. I recall there was talk of making smoking related problems chargeable however.
    I would have thought the amount of tax they put on cigarettes would more than cover the treatment of anyone who suffers as a result.
    Obviously it's been spend on other things.
    This is an interesting analysis on whether addiction to technology is really just a myth.

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/is-technology-addiction-a-myth/p07ggx85?playlist=algorithms-and-ai-what-kind-of-world-do-we-want
    As if it wasn't bad enough to addicted to social media. Gambling is another perhaps much worse addiction.
    Yeah @mheredge gambling is much worse than social media as it steals not only time, but money from you.
    Methodists - a form of non-conformist Christians have a pledge that they sign which includes no alcohol and no gambling. I think gambling for those who are addicted is as bad as being a drug addict or alcoholic. It can take over people's lives @Vok. I even consider raffles to be gambling and hardly ever participate unless it is for a very good cause. I never expect to win and see it as a donation.
    Even worse is the fact that once you have been on one gambling site, you will see them advertised everywhere thanks to algorithms, so that can make an addiction even more difficult to deal with.
    Thankfully I have never fallen into that trap. I just get flights come up all the time :)
    I get adverts for books on Amazon most of the time, as that's what I spend a lot of time looking at!
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge @GemmaRowlands @Vok @filauzio

I always easily be addicted to LEN forum. Is this a bad thing?
    ψ(`∇´)ψ