Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain

Tuesday Night Owls - 1 October 2019 - Why appliances play music

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,154 Teacher
We read an article about why appliance makers are investing in new chimes, alerts and jingles:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/09/why-are-washing-machines-learning-to-play-the-harp/594706/

Vocabulary Top 10:

chime - the sound made by a set of bells

ambient sound/music - quiet and relaxing with melodies that repeat many times

ripple - a sound that gradually becomes louder and then quieter

merely - only, just — used to say that someone or something is small, unimportant, etc.

snippet - a small part of something (such as a piece of music, a conversation, etc.)

aural - relating to the ear or sense of hearing

usher in - to happen at the beginning of (something, such as a period of activity) and usually to help cause it

a host of - a great amount or number

ditty - a short and simple song

reminiscent - reminding you of someone or something else : similar to something else

Do any of your appliances play music?
Do you think that these sounds affect you? In what way?

@Shiny03 @VictorJosé @april @filauzio @aladdin @aza @Manar @Diakha @Rema

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,118 mod
    Until now, appliances which I have make only a lot of noises, like the washing machine.
    This one beeps several time for a couple of minutes. Mostly I don't hear the beeps so my clothes often stay in the machine for some more hour with all its consequences.
    My oven and micro wave make some beeps too.
    The only thing that makes music is my grandson toilet.
    It plays music when my grandson has peed. :)
    We are always excited when we hear that music.
    I think this is the only appliance's sound that affects me in a good way, contrary to the music or any sounds coming from smartphones or any other computer devices.
    Won't you become irritated too, when you are taking a nap and suddenly the sound of notifications coming from your calendar or incoming messages from WhatsApp wake you up?
    Or when you hear weird ringtones from somebody's cellphone in a bus or in a tram?

Another thing I wanted to change is the irritating sound coming from Discord in a voice session when somebody is entering or leaving. ;):D

• VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 52 ✭✭
    The appliances I have in my house aren´t so smart, on the other hand, these machines are obsolete models where make simples beeps, for instance, microwave oven, dishwasher and washing machine. I imagine in the near future, with the advent of IoT - Internet of Things, the appliances will be connected on the Internet making possible send us messages directly for our cellphone informing of their activities finished. When it comes true, we will be more common listening to our cell phone´s beeping than the machines make their ripple.
    By the way, these sounds don´t annoy me since it should be a low sound, like the oldest monophonic beeps.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,154 Teacher
    @april , you can turn that Discord sound off!! Go to 'notifications' in 'settings' - you can turn off lots of those sounds. I usually turn off the mute/unmute/deafen/undeafen options every time I log in :D
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,154 Teacher
    @VictorJosé - my friend has one of those vacuum robots, and it does exactly that - when it finishes cleaning, it sends her a notification on her phone. The future is now!!
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,396 mod
    @april - Here is your correction:-

To date, appliances that I have only make a lot of noise; like the washing machine. It beeps several times for a couple of minutes. Most of the time I don't hear the beeps so my clothes often stay in the machine for several hours with the attending consequences.

My oven and microwave beep too.

The only thing that makes music is my grandson's potty. It plays music when my grandson pees in it. We are always excited when we hear that music.

I think this is the only appliance sound that affects me in a good way, contrary to the music or any sounds coming from smartphones or any other computer devices.

Wouldn't you become irritated too, if you were taking a nap and suddenly the sound of notifications coming from your calendar or incoming messages from WhatsApp wake you up?

Or when you hear weird ringtones from somebody's cellphone on the bus or tram?

Another thing I want to change is the irritating sound coming from Discord in a voice session when somebody enters or leaves. ;):D
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,396 mod
    @VictorJosé - Here is your correction:-

The appliances I have in my house aren´t so smart, probably because they are obsolete models that make simple beeps. For instance, my microwave oven, dishwasher and washing machine.

I imagine in the near future, with the advent of IoT - Internet of Things, the appliances will be connected to the Internet, making it possible for them to send us messages directly to our cellphone informing us that their activities have finished. When that comes true, we will be listening to our cell phone beeping more often than the machines.

By the way, these sounds don´t annoy me since they make a low sound, like the oldest monophonic beeps.

!Note - not sure what you meant by " ... make their ripple".