Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

One moment alone in the garden,
Under the August skies;
The moon had gone, but the stars shone on, -
Shone like your beautiful eyes.
Away from the glitter and gaslight,
Alone in the garden there,
While the mirth of the throng, in laugh and song,
Floated out on the air.

Ella Wheeler Wilcox
In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Learn English August

English Book Club - Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Comments

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,927 mod
    edited January 18
    Today's readers - Paulette - Elinor - Paulina - Hermine - Alexandra

Paulette - altar - uneasy - performing - idea - wicked

:smile: archbishop

"which brings them" bring(s)

Elinor - comb (long o) - cap + nightcap (not like cup)

---------------------------------

reasonable - lamb (not lamp)

:smile: many

Paulina - reached - recognising - strictly (ˈstrɪk(t)li/) - word (not like ward) - emperor - archbishop (ch) - trouble (like bubble) - rivulet - inviting - shade (sh) - astonished (s) - shepherds - suspense - askance - resistless

:smile: sung

Hermine - folly (not like fully) - solitary - thou ( or you) - veil - hypocrisy - parading - vileness - counterfeit - strife (not like strive) - sobs (no z) - far ( not fair) - curate /ˈkjʊərət/

Alexandra - cut off - arguments (u - like you) - works (/wəːks/ not walks /wɔːks/) - comfort /ˈkʌmfət/

:smile: evil

Chapter 27 - Page 290 (555)

"To proceed, then: Don Fernando finding my presence an obstacle to the
    execution of his treacherous and wicked design, resolved to send me to his
    elder brother under the pretext of asking money from him to pay for six
    horses which, purposely, and with the sole object of sending me away that
    he might the better carry out his infernal scheme, he had purchased the very
    day he offered to speak to my father, and the price of which he now desired
    me to fetch. Could I have anticipated this treachery?"
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a scoundrel, this Fernando. :o
    Today's readers - Paulette - Paulina - Elinor - Alexandra - Hermine

Paulette - wicked - now - desired (not like decide) - ingenuity - jealousies (soft s) - worthy - low - allowed - whither - knowledge

:smile - word - depth

Paulina - temptation - a (like uh) - hers - serious - entreat - inconvenience - seeing (not saying) - improvised - scarcely - secrecy - privately - pledged - now (not know) - exasperation - wavering - bridal - contrive

Elinor - entrances (not like to entrance) - tapestries (not like tape) - particularly /pəˈtɪkjʊləli/ - mortal
    /ˈmɔːt(ə)l/ - death (not debt)

Alexandra - truth (th) - breath (not like to breathe) - bosom /ˈbʊz(ə)m/ - seized - efforts - enemies (plural) - dealt (not like deal) - farewell (not like far)

Hermine - injurious /ɪnˈdʒʊərɪəs/ - eligible - assertion (not like a certain) - honourable (silent h) - soliloquising - remainder (not reminder) - wandered - rugged (voiced e) - fatigue - hunger - deranged - weary (not wary) -
    miserable (not like miss) - rational - recollect (not recalled) - depriving

Chapter 27 - Page 298 (291) "Such, sirs, is the dismal story of my misfortune: say if it be one that can be
    told with less emotion than you have seen in me; and do not trouble yourselves with urging or pressing upon me what reason suggests as likely to serve for my relief..."
    Today's readers: Paulette - Paulina - Elinor - Alexandra - z3b - Hermine

Paulette - come (not com) - cause (not like cozy) - brought - curate (not like to curate) - fortunate (not ate) - ingenious - woe (woe is me)

:smile: my (not me) -irretrievable

------------------------------

Paulina - uttered - bathing - whiteness (not like witness) - double-skirted - cloth (not like to clothe) - wiped (not whipped) - creature (not like creator) - divine - woman - auburn - covered - three (not tree) - shoes (plural) - scared (not like skirt) - delicate

---------------------------------

Elinor - or (not and) - sighing (not signing) - solitude - seen (not sin)

!Note alleviate - like negotiate

-----------------------

Alexandra - heir (not like hair) - vassals - wealthy (not like welt) - mishap (not sh) - oil-mills (not milks) - beehives - acted (voiced e) - assiduity - weariness (not wariness)

:smile: worth

------------------------

z3b - ostentation - except (not like expect) - women (not woman) veiled - lynx's - curate - woes (not like woos) -
    oaths - bearing (not like beer) -

:smile: went on to say - innumerable

------------------------

Hermine - virtue - contrary (not like to be contrary) - than (not that) - precautions /prɪˈkɔːʃ(ə)nz/ - possessed - claws - clasped (not like claps) - yield

:smile: procured

Chapter 28 - Page 307 (300) When Cardenio heard her say she was called Dorothea, he showed fresh
    agitation and felt convinced of the truth of his former suspicion, but he was
    unwilling to interrupt the story, and wished to hear the end of what he
    already all but knew, so he merely said
    Today's readers: Paulette - Elinor - Hermine - Alexandra - Eva

Paulette - merely (second e silent) - match (not like much) - excite (s - not z) - now (not know) - usage

Elinor - admitted (d) - my (not mine) - rare - entitle

Hermine - anxieties - conscience - sought (like or) - notoriety - clothes - trifled - present - notoriety . comfort

:smile: betrothal - swoon

Alexandra - reward - these (not this) - villainy - to present (not a present) - overtures - justly - care - ravine

Eva - indulged - nature - dread - idle - astonished - miserable - ragged - bereft - mentioned - witnessed - betrothed - solitudes - resolved - us - recognise - Heaven

:smile: expect

Chapter 29 Page 229 (222) - Cardenio’s words completed the astonishment of Dorothea, and not knowing how to return thanks for such an offer, she attempted to kiss his feet; but Cardenio would not permit it, and the licentiate replied for both, commended the sound reasoning of Cardenio, and lastly, begged, advised, and urged them to come with him to his village, where they might furnish themselves with what they needed, and take measures to discover Don Fernando, or restore Dorothea to her parents, or do what seemed to them most advisable.
    Today's readers: Paulette - Elinor - Alexandra - Hermine

Listening: Eva

Paulette - urged (g) - use (not like to use) - sighing (no g sound) - worthy (not wordy) - archbishop - curate (not ate) - doubt (ow) - waters

Elinor - phantom /ˈfantəm/ - emperor /ˈɛmp(ə)rə/

"as I am married; and for me now, having as I have a wife and children, to set about obtaining dispensations to enable me to hold a place of profit under the Church, would be endless work;"

-----------------------------------

Alexandra - league - wilderness (der) - though (not thought) - this (not his) - disconsolate /dɪsˈkɒns(ə)lət/ - worthy (not like war) - Ethiopia - conscience - magnanimous - usurped to usurp /jʊˈsəːp/

:smile: bids

Hermine - compliance - emperor /ˈɛmp(ə)rə/ - fancy - curate - jerkin - although (not like Al) - brambles - awkward - very - hastened - reverend

:smile: gone - mule - beast - fertile

"from this day forth"

----------------------------------------

Elinor - haunches (not hunches)

Alexandra - licentiate - considerate

Paulette - unfortunately - hind hoofs - moan

Hermine - miracle - curate - pounced - lacerated

"the sticking on of beards"

-------------------------------------

Chapter 29 - Page 316 - "And so it is," said the curate, and he promised to teach it to him on the first opportunity. They then agreed that for the present the curate should mount, and that the three should ride by turns until they reached the inn, which might be about six leagues from where they were.
    Readers: Paulette - Elinor - Paulina - Alexandra - Hermine - Rob - Don

Paulette - Towards (not two words) - behold (not be gold) - invincible (not invisible) - brought (not like b(r)oat) - scoundrel - lawful (not like low) -

:smile: lies - neighbourhood - daring

"were set free" (missed free)

Elinor - person (not like "on")

Paulina - embarrassed - misfortunes - said (not like laid) - was (not has) - :sgiant - Scowl (not like school) - all (not Al) - good (not god) - bristles

Alexandra - natural - fortune "tʃ" - whithersoever - satisfactorily - Sapient

:smile: man

Hermine - windpipe - mule (not like drool) - acknowledgment - therefore - squire (not choir) - miracle /ˈmɪrək(ə)l/ - ought - presence /ˈprɛz(ə)ns/ - shall /ʃal/ -

:smile: sufferers - unexampled - marry

Rob - lifting (t) - thwacks - interfering (not inferring) - Know (not now) - strength (not string) - live (to live, not live broadcast) - ungrateful - kept (not keep)

:smile: great (not greet)

Don - impulses - thou - worship (no d) - abuse (not like booze) - advanced (silent e) begged (silent e) kissed (silent e) - matters (not masters) - thy (not they) - answer answered (silent w) - revengeful - returned (silent e) - stirred - reverence - saw (not like sew) - gipsy - thread - disguised - recognised - shouted - treasure - thief

:smile: lord's - worship

"I need say no more to thee"

-------------------------------

Chapter 30 - Page 334 (327) - There was no necessity for so many words or objurgations, for at the first
    one Gines jumped down, and at a like racing speed made off and got clear of them all. Sancho hastened to his Dapple, and embracing him he said, "How hast thou fared, my blessing, Dapple of my eyes, my comrade?"
    edited March 1
    Today's reading list:- Paulette - Paulina - Elinor - Alexandra - Hermine - Rob

Paulette - caressed / caressing (caress /kəˈrɛs/) - resemblance - haphazard - concoct
    /kənˈkɒkt/ - imagine

:smile: find - copied -

"showing that his mind is quite clear and composed; so that,
    provided his chivalry is not touched upon, no one would take him to be
    anything but a man of thoroughly sound understanding."

"had never seen or read"

Paulina - rueful (not like ruffle) - reach - bushels - befitting (not benefitting) - naked (voiced e) - aspiring -

:smile: pearls

Elinor - amber - dragon /ˈdraɡ(ə)n/ -

"... all in a sweat ..." (a)

"... some friendly sage must have carried thee
    through the air without thee perceiving it."

Alexandra - legion /ˈliːdʒ(ə)n/ (not like legend) - return - lose (not like loss) - necessary (stress) -

:smile: hers (not here) -

"what a sad state ..."

" he complains of "

" a sparrow in the hand is better than a vulture on the wing."

" A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush."

Hermine - desires (silent e) - hold - considered (silent e) - decorous /ˈdɛk(ə)rəs/ - overcome - errant (not like ear) - reward (not like hard) - preachers - shrewd -

:smile: accompanying - to present

Rob - youth - weep (not whip) - tyrannical /tɪˈranɪk(ə)l/ (sometimes like tyrant) - particular /pəˈtɪkjʊlə/ (not like part) - asked (silent e) - wages - bargain /ˈbɑːɡɪn/ - Answer / answered (silent w) -

:smile: carelessness

Chapter 31 - Page 344 (555)
    "How! the opposite?" said Don Quixote; "did not the clown pay thee then?"
    "Not only did he not pay me," replied the lad, "but as soon as your worship
    had passed out of the wood and we were alone, he tied me up again to the
    same oak and gave me a fresh flogging, that left me like a flayed Saint
    Bartholomew;
    Some of my old mistakes, I am afraid. :(
    Today's readers: Hermine - Paulette - Elinor - Paulina - Alexandra - Rob

Hermine - Bartholomew - gibe - loosed (loose not to lose) - kindled - whether (not whatever) - they - iniquitous - enterprise (not experience) - ardour

Paulette - swear (like wear) - took (like look) - treats (not like threats) - borrowed (silent e)

sent him on before (not one)

to treat (to behave towards or deal with so/st in a certain way.)

Elinor - chivalry (sh not ch) - honour (silent h) -

"it seems to me" (stress)

Paulina - secured (stress) - written (not like to write) - read (past of to read) - hearth -
    Schismatics - folly (not like fool) - illustrious - a most (not among) - immense - relating (not like relative from to relate) - unbiased - giants - friars - fiery - squeezed

:smile: midst

"when they got down there he found himself among palaces "

Alexandra - beguiling - such (ch) - allow (not low) - care (like air) - come (not like bomb

Rob - knight errant - heart (not hurt) - expected (voiced e) - labour (not like lover) - sheets (!) - begged (silent e) - curate - talking (silent l) - tranquil - pleasant

:smile: to read (clue - to) - "It will be"

-----------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 33. IN WHICH IS RELATED THE NOVEL OF "THE
    ILL-ADVISED CURIOSITY"
    @Lynne, years ago we listened to a recording about men of honour. But I think I didn't use Google docs at the time since I can't find it. :(
    "... years ago ..." Yup - you lost me there. :D;)
    edited March 15
    Today's readers: Paulette - Elinor - Paulina - Hermine - Alexandra - Rob

Paulette - related - ill-advised (silent e) - tastes - marriage /ˈmarɪdʒ/ - were (not like where) - not allow - how

:smile reciprocal - daughter

Elinor - relative /ˈrɛlətɪv/ (not like at) - loyal /ˈlɔɪəl/ - truth - excuses /ɛkˈskjuːsəz/ (soft s) - happiness /ˈhapɪnəs/

Paulina - astonishment - preamble - flagrant - circuitous - myself (f) - urges - reserved (silent e) - impropriety - justify (j not h) - wooed - virtuous (not victorious) - bear (not burr) - wanting (not waiting) - induced - buried - lukewarmly - assures

Hermine - harangue - verily - forfeited - hazard - on the contrary (not like Mary Mary quite contrary) - instrument
    /in(t)-strə-mənt/ - palpable - capable

:smile: jest

Alexandra - leave (long eee) - desert /dɪˈzəːt/ (not like desert /ˈdɛzət/) - virtuous - truth (not like trust)

Rob - attempted - such (not like search) - called (silent e) - fortune - attempt - Yet (not like jet) -

:smile: undertake - threatens - imagined - famous

Chapter 33 - Page 361
    Thus by keeping it secret thou wilt not escape thy sorrow, but rather thou
    wilt shed tears unceasingly, if not tears of the eyes, tears of blood from the
    heart, like those shed by that simple doctor our poet tells us of, that tried
    the test of the cup,
    Updates available. :)
    edited March 22
    Today's Readers: Paulette - Elinor - Alexandra - Paulina - Hermine - Rob

Paulette - consent - strength (not like string) - Undoubtedly - quality - ermine - rousing - towards (not two words) -
    prized (silent e / not like praise)

lapidary = a person who cuts, polishes, or engraves gems.

"allows itself to be taken captive"

Elinor - breaking (not baking) - failure - loose - ill-advised (not like in) - leave (not live)

Alexandra - virtuous - word (not ward) - intelligence (soft g) - infirmity - worse - recourse (not like resource) - lukewarm (silent e) - striving (s)

:smile: persuading

Paulina - further (not father) - mind (d - not like mine) - affectionately (t) - present / to present (not a present) - treated - absence - a pretence - wish (not like witch) - judge (not like jut) - sleep (not slip) - charms (not sh) - deceive - fair seeming - afford

Hermine - draw - on the contrary - to lure her - chance (not change) - ascertain (not a certain) - this (not like his) -
    deception -

"a friend of his" (not he)
    "he so arranged it" (not if)

:smile: though

Rob: shortsighted - measure (not like me) - labour (not like lubber) - against - childhood - hastily - fixed (silent e) - countenance ˈkaʊnt(ə)nəns - bridle - Camilla's - statue - weakness

:smile: thine - treasure - boon

Page 371 / 555
    In short the beauty and goodness of Camilla, joined with the opportunity
    which the blind husband had placed in his hands, overthrew the loyalty of
    Lothario; and giving heed to nothing save the object towards which his
    inclinations led him, after Anselmo had been three days absent...
    Post edited by Teach on
    Today's readers: Paulette - Elinor - Hermine - Alexandra - Mehrdad

Paulette - three (not tree) - vehemence /ˈviːɪm(ə)ns/ - gathered (th) - quarrel - strenuously

:smile: imagine - owed

chance or opportunity (not of)

"in which she addressed" (in which)

" nor yet to go to her parents" (nor yet)

Elinor - chastity (not like chaste) - dryshod (shod not shot) - bark (long ark)

"in short he felt that ..."

:smile: praise (not prize)

Hermine - curiosity (soft s) - decorum /dɪˈkɔːrəm/ - due - course (not curse) - jealousy (soft s) - recite (false prefix /rɪˈsʌɪt/) - balmy /ˈbɑːmi/ (silent l)

:smile: fidelity

Alexandra - fair (like air) - repented (t) - graven - entails - vigour (hard g) - lowering - skies (not skis) - praised (not prize) - binding (not like bin) - virtue

:smile: oblivion - image - bear

Eva - prized - heard (not like hear) - wounds - dread (like bread) - subduing - agent (soft g) - blood - perceived (silent e) - scrupulous - prudish - Distinguished - Elegant - Zealous - honour (silent h) - experienced (silent e) - uneasy

:smile: Polite

" but be assured that Lothario prizes you as you do him "

" the four S's" (not force)

------------------------------------

Chapter 34 Page 379 (372)

All that Camilla could do was to entreat Leonela to say nothing about her doings to him whom she called her lover, and to conduct her own affairs secretly lest they should come to the knowledge of Anselmo or of Lothario. Leonela said she would, but kept her word in such a way that she confirmed Camilla's apprehension of losing her reputation through her means; for this abandoned and bold Leonela,
    @Teach, well said 'an old lie'

Dulce et Decorum est

If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
    Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
    Obscene as cancer,
    Bitter as the cud
    Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,–
    My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
    Pro patria mori.

Wilfred Owen
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 38,296 mod
    I sympathize with Anselmo's love grief, but that he dies because of that is for me a riddle. I think that he couldn't live with the thought that he was being deprived of his own honour, because his wife had left him because of his own stupid plan.
    edited April 5
    Today's readers - Paulette - Elinor - Alexandra - Hermine - Rob

Paulette - knowledge - entail - depravities - spectre - the erring - gnawed - ascertain (not like certain) - given - precipitately - vengeance - repentance -- mature

Elinor - pardon

:smile: irremediable

Alexandra - except (not expect) - country (not like count) - vitals - ill betide - mean

:smile: pierce

Hermine - infamy - vengeance (v) - anxiety (not like anxious) - woe is me - menaces - vindicated - bathed - unsheathed

:smile: close by - maledictions - audacity - undeceive - foul

Rob - tapestries (not like trap) - pleased - darest - answer - dull - promised - earliest - lesser - violated - dare - unworthily - woe is me (not woo) - comprehend - heedlessness - persuaded - persevere - unsustained - thoughtlessness - punishment

"when did I by word or sign give a reply to thy prayers that could awaken in thee a
    shadow of hope of attaining thy base wishes?"

-----------------------

Page 387 (380) - As she uttered these words, with incredible energy and swiftness she flew
    upon Lothario with the naked dagger, so manifestly bent on burying it in his
    breast that he was almost uncertain whether these demonstrations were
    real or feigned, for he was obliged to have recourse to all his skill and
    Paulette - naked (voiced e) - effort - astounded - bathed (silent e) - wonder - assure - loathed - ought

"once more"

"even though"

---------------

Elinor - death (th) (not like debt) - longed (d) - monument

amour (not armour) -

" he belongs to me"

"Camilla agreed to this"

----------------------

Alexandra - remained (not reminded) - to be read (not to read) - toughest (not toughness) - turnip .-
    remainder (not reminder) - chamber (long a) - brigand - wicked (voiced e) - spilt (not like split) - thighs (not things) - greasy (not like grace) - unsheathed - fountain

:smile: skins (not skills) - curate - "on all sides" - fist (not first)

------------------------------

Chapter 35 Page 396 (555) - As soon as daylight came Anselmo, without missing Camilla from his side,
    rose eager to learn what Leonela had to tell him, and hastened to the room
    where he had locked her in. H
    Today's readers: Paulette - Paulina - Elinor - Alexandra - Hermine - Ninahh - Vg - Youcef

Paulette - daylight - found (not like fond) - give (g not h) - known (not noun) - think (th) -

:smile: found - horseback

Paulina - also (not like Al) - how (not now) - occurrence - intelligence - reached (not like rushed) - failed (not felled) - determined - ascertain - written - host - distressed - befallen -

to comply with (complied with)

to know well (he knew well )

Elinor - ears (not airs) - ascertained (stress) - inevitable - worn (not like worm) - truth (th)

Alexandra - veiled (not like vile) - know (not now)

" ... went to where the servants were standing ..."

gaudeamus - a group of students partying

Hermine - particularly - said (not like say) - was - on the contrary (not like Mary Mary quite contrary) -

:smile: veiled

Ninaah - reached (silent e) - marked (silent e) - pity (p) - grasped - pronlonged - fainting - scarcely (not like scar)

:smile: countenance - eagerness - curate

"observing which the gentleman held her back"

Youcef - what (t) - importunities - threats (not treats) - detach - brought - yield (not yelled) - beloved husband (voiced e) - meanwhile - summoning - at (t) - adressed (silent e) - eclipsed - unfortunate - thou / thy / thee - passion (not like patient) - driven

" rob thine eyes of sight"

to summon up - summoning up her resolution

----------------------

Chapter 36 - Page 403 (396)

"It was thy will to make me thine, and thou didst so follow thy will, that now, even though thou repentest, thou canst not help being mine."
    Updates were available anyway. :) Well, if I were Dorothea, I wouldn't take Fernando after all this that happened. :p
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 38,296 mod
    I can't find the reading session of today on Facebook, that's a bit of pity.Maybe it is me who is clumsy or stupid;
    Paulette said:

I can't find the reading session of today on Facebook, that's a bit of pity.Maybe it is me who is clumsy or stupid;

It wasn't you, it was me. I streamed it to the wrong page. You should be able to watch it now.
    Today's readers: Elinor - Paulette - Paulina - Hermine - Alexandra

Elinor - miserable (ˈmɪz(ə)rəb(ə)l - 2 x schwa e) - fail (not fey) - replying (not like applying)

Paulette - truths (th not like trews - short for trousers) - recognise (g) - threaten ((ea) not like eat)
    refuge (not like refuse) - lawful (not like low) - though - assail (soft ss) - disappointed (soft ss) - most (not like must) - approval - places

:smile: rouse

"peace and quiet"

Paulina - manly (not mainly) - wished it - stooping - transgression - grievous (ɡriːvəs/)
    - contentment - repentance (stress) - rendered - courtesy (ˈkəːtɪsi - not like court) - resolved - ascertained - guard (g) - resist (rɪˈzɪst)

:smile: tenderness

"and would have done so had he not been prevented by her parents..."

Hermine - droll (not troll) - intricate (ˈɪntrɪkət - not like ate) - stupendous (p not b) - rivulets - talking (t) - wasn't

:smile: humour

"well, well"

Alexandra - which (ch) - scheme (s) - presented - half (silent l) - composure - annihilated - magician (soft g) - annals /ˈan(ə)lz/ - whelp

:smile: stratagem - figure

"two days' journey"

--------------------------------

Chapter 37 Page 411 (404)

"You were engaged with a couple of wine-skins, and not a giant," said the
    landlord at this; but Don Fernando told him to hold his tongue and on no
    account interrupt Don Quixote, who continued, "
    Today's readers: Paulette - Elinor - Alexandra - Hermine + Vg

Paulette - disinherited - ought - reply (not replay) - undergone - remedying (not muddy) - valour - persuaded

Elinor - breeches (r) - cap (not like cup) - swarthy /swɔːði/

Alexandra - country (not contrary) - circumstances - hands (s) - thoroughly - baptised - Algiers (not Algeria) -

:smile: ordains

"There has been no opportunity for that..."

Hermine - Arabic (not like Arabian) - was /wɒz/ - tender - compasionate - affectionately - accompanied - the curate (not like to curate) - impulse - trumpeted - surpasses (stress) - sturdy- requisite

:smile: whosoever - chiefly

Vg - or - estimable - earth - disciples - Quixote - delivered - appurtenance - misery (not like miserly) - neighbour's - particulars (not like part) - undergone

:smile: ruling

"that which is his..."

Page 419 (412)

CHAPTER 38. WHICH TREATS OF THE CURIOUS
    DISCOURSE DON QUIXOTE DELIVERED ON ARMS AND
    LETTERS
    Today's readers: Paulette / Elinor / Hermine

Paulette - company - saw - our - refuge (not like to refuse) - mouth - thunderbolt (th) - prow -

"... I leaped on board the enemy's galley, which, sheering off from that which had attacked it,
    prevented my men from following me, and so I found myself alone in the
    midst of my enemies,..."

-----------------------
    rejoiced - triumphant - a defect (not effect) - descent (not decent) - blemishes - qualities (a) - realm (not like real) - heir (silent h - not like hair) - deceased - Algiers - look out - feeble

:smile: owing - favourable
    -----------
    -----------

Elinor - While (not why) - defence (not defendance?) - post - capitulated
    -----------------------

particular (not like part) - meant

-----------
    -----------
    Hermine - ensign - particular (not like part) - brother - beatified - heirs (silent h) - ardour - plied - sandy - foeman (not foreman) -

:smile: compare - vanquished - ever

"That is it exactly ... "

-----------------------

head (not heed) - renegade(s) - pole-star (not polster) - ascertain - Arabic - terrace

:smile: rejoiced

--------------------------------------
    Chapter 40 - Page 436 (429)

At last I resolved to confide in a renegade, a native of Murcia, who
    professed a very great friendship for me, and had given pledges that bound
    him to keep any secret I might entrust to him; for it is the custom with some
    Today's readers: Paulette - Hermine - Elinor

Paulette - asked - gave (not give)

:smile: it

" it is the custom with some renegades, when they intend to return to Christian territory, to carry about them certificates from captives of mark testifying, in whatever form they can, that such and such a renegade is a worthy man who has always shown kindness to Christians,"

Hermine - severed (not like severe) - We (not he) - ascertain (not like a certain) - ever (not like even) -
    command (stress) - terrace /ˈter-əs/ - said (not like say) - heiress (silent h) - viceroys (not like vicar) - territory ˈtɛrɪt(ə)ri/ -

:smile: this

" to some one of us "

Elinor - he (not we) "and he will find me" - art - Majorca - escaping - we (not he) "if
    we did not do as he said" -

:smile: senor (not senior)

-------------------------------------

Chapter 40 - Page 442

We at once gave the renegade five hundred crowns to buy the vessel, and
    with eight hundred I ransomed myself, giving the money to a Valencian
    merchant who happened to be in Algiers at the time, and who had me
    released on his word, pledging it that on the arrival of the first ship from
    Valencia he would pay my ransom; for if he had given the money at once it
    would have made the king suspect that my ransom money had been for a
    long time in Algiers, and that the merchant had for his own advantage kept
    it secret.

Today's readers: Paulette - Elinor - Alexandra - Hermine

Paulette - injure (not like endure) - merchant (ch not sh) - vessel (s not z) - Moorish - rowers - separately (not to separate)

:smile: dangerous - rowers - stealthily

to deal with s.o / s.t ... "In fact my master was so difficult to deal with that I dared not on
    any account pay down the money at once. "

to remember to do st - "... and that she must remember to commend us to Lela Marien "

-----------------------------------
    as (not ass) - quite quietly (not like quickly) - recognised

:smile: outcry

Elinor -

"... by means of which we can all understand one another..."

"... is increased or diminished by chance causes... "

-----------------------

prodigiously /prəˈdɪdʒəsli:/ - mishap

".... to attempt to speak would cost him his life...."

Alexandra - mean (not men) - worthily - heartily

"for the longing I feel to return to my country and to those I love is so great that it will not allow me to wait for another opportunity...

ransomed - to ransom so. ".something paid or demanded for the freedom of a captured person.

Hermine - treat - ready - quickwitted - fastenings (silent t) - to row (a boat) -

:smile: on the contrary

---------------------------
    Chapter 41 - Page 444 -

Finding herself now on board, and that we were about to give way with the
    oars, Zoraida, seeing her father there, and the other Moors bound, bade the
    renegade ask me to do her the favour of releasing the Moors and setting her
    father at liberty, for she would rather drown herself in the sea than suffer a
    father that had loved her so dearly to be carried away captive before her
    eyes and on her account.